Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Tough Call

If I was an American, today I would be gnawing the end of my pencil.
Who to vote for?
A feminist's dream candidate or an idealist's dream candidate?
Both of them have drawbacks of course. Clinton is a Boomer's Boomer and we know what we'll get more of (though I doubt that will include any inappropriate sexual liaisons, but good for her if she can add that in). Obama has the great speeches, but can he walk the talk? Has he got the chops?

I've been chasing my tail on this one for the past two weeks. Every time I think it is clear that one of them justifies my vote, another round of to-and-fro comes through. I am honestly undecided, for all the right reasons. I'm not on a fence, I'm not uninterested, I am really interested in this election outcome but for the first time in what feels like ages and ages, I honestly think it's an in-principal win-win.

Am I just being too naive?
After Thatcher I am not caught up in the idea of a national leader for gender's sake (although I'll admit to a pleasant frisson when Gillard took the reins over xmas) so I really am staying focused on what they offer as a leader. And that's the real crux of it. For the previous decade Australia was governed by a management team and the social and cultural consequences of that were enormous. I don't think that either of these candidates would generate those kind of problems, but it prompts the question - what kind of leadership do we think we deserve? What kind of leadership in our hearts do we hope for?

There's my own answer that I just keep coming back to. That politics and leadership needs to include some heart and vision. They both have it, but I think Obama's is catalytic in nature and it needs to be in the mix. The world needs the same people who are already powerful in industry, in commerce, in the financial markets to change their stripes, even just subtly, to make a difference in our planet surviving and humans being worth thriving.
That's a lot to ask, but every heart shifting a little more towards compassion, inclusion, cooperation has an impact beyond the simple and obvious immediacies.

Can I trust this hope or have I just been spun?