Friday, September 17, 2010

Panopticon Blues

Wristwatches and schedules and tiny little boxes cut dreams into segments, and some things don't keep living when you cleaver them up into teensy pieces. Try it if you don't believe me. I suggest not with your own pet.

The Doubtful has had all clock readouts gaffed over and we're all the better for it. I prefer to not know what day it is, anywhere. Your timezone is your problem dude, don't lay that trip on me. Of course in my trade we're largely casual about many of those things people have gotten into the habit of thinking of as immutable (psst guys, we made it up and all agreed not to tell - don't you remember?). Occasionally we get all precise and specific. Sometimes bizniz must be clandestine and this requires some snappy moves to a sharp beat. Usually we cruise in rasta zen mode and this is the eternal perfect antidote to the lingering sweaty nightmares from my time in the panopticon.

No comments: