Thursday, July 12, 2007

Aust Post: Axis of Evil?

Increasingly the "service" from Australia Post grates harshly.
Queues, dullness of intellect, poor English skills, padded product ranges - all these are but nothing compared to the incessant creep of that most insidious franchise behaviour: the upsell.

"May I have a book of ten stamps please?" is no longer a request, but an invitation to offer me a ream of paper on special, envelopes, a book of 20 stamps, a pack of highlighters.
"Just the stamps....gritted teeth...please."

Do they think we are that inane? That dim witted?
"Gosh, I forgot, yes, I am completely out of envelopes, highlighters, and dodgy teddy bears (stocked here for no apparent purpose), load me up!"
If I could buy stamps from a slot in the wall I would, and willingly, to forgo this element of modern life. Are there no standards anywhere anymore?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Standards? Standards?! I'm afraid that as far as I can tell the only standard that exists when one has the misfortune to come into contact with mainstream society is the continual grinding of all things into the fine gray powder of capitalism.

I, for one, welcome our coming robot overlords. At least they might have some sense of what's important at a larger scale. Taken communally, we certainly don't.

J9 said...

I just hope the coming robot overlords don't have A GOD like the fracking new cylons do. Man, how fucked up are they!? They don't have a clue.
But I trust *your* robot overlords Jaye....
Especially if their only biological material is from cats.

Anonymous said...

It's funny. This big Austrian gent came to visit last night along with this crazy woman, and bratty kid. So the kid takes my cat and puts her in my bedroom, and then Sven or Dolf or whatever his name is cuts the plastic skin from his prosthetic arm and says I need to listen to him "very carefully".

Is this what happens when performance art gets a budget? They start doing crazy home invasions?

They then trashed all my computers over my howls of protest and went to level the Telstra office block where I code. Good thing I didn't mention the backups I've got on a server in Amsterdam -- the codebase is starting to get really functional now: it plays a good game of Go, if being a tad aggressive. I'm sure I can work that out in beta testing, though. If only I can think of a catchy name for it...

J9 said...

You rock my world!
LOL.