Sunday, May 11, 2008

Manic Inspiration

It is official, Neil Gaiman is very possibly the nicest author alive.

I haven't met any dead authors, so I couldn't say otherwise, and I'm wary of hyperbole after this week, and you might be tempted not to believe me if I just say nicest person (although I think he must be right up there in the running) and actually, to my shame, I haven't met very many International Authors of Intrigue and Excitement. But of my whole life experience, and all my book gossiping, I can tell you with the utmost lack of authority, that Neil Gaiman is very possibly the nicest author alive. So there.

At the event at Kino, he signed himself nearly into oblivion. How very tired he was, how very sore his hand became, and yet, person by person, he had a smile and a quip and maybe a little drawing. Maybe I could say that Neil Gaiman has whatever the antithesis of hubris is. I'd love to know if there's a word for that. Something that covers humility, good humour and being clever.

It was inspiring to be involved in this event, and I have to confess, I did double-dip and go to "D's" the next day (in my defence, I waited until right at the end! I didn't want to cheat any first-timers!) for another hello. It does sound a little odd to be hounding the poor man across the city, but as wisdom seemed to drip from his pen, I thought it might be a good idea to be near the pen often ... well as often as possible without being pushy.

You see, I can't write like Neil, or like Jane, or like Cory, or Gibson or Le Guin, or Stephenson, or Shute or Rumi or Scott Card or any of the other dozens of inspiring authors whose stories and tales and imaginations I adore. I just write like me.

For ages I've been really down about wirting like me, and have made no effort to find out what might be good about that. I've been blind to my pictures and deaf to my voice. Hence the big gap in publishing projects, and the pulling-teethness of my "oh I want to write, but my writing is so bad I shoudn't inflict it on anybody until it is much much better" whining and prevaricating! Blah Blah Blah.

It never occured to me that real-life International Authors of Intrigue and Excitement might have had that feeling too. Someone put a question into the fishbowl about the themes in the stories and I'm going to paraphrase heavily here now (until Mez gets the tape out of the box and onto the interwebs) because Neil says something *like* "Actually I write a story and then read it and go 'oh, angels again'." and ka-ching a little light goes on in my head. I *know* I've heard generic-people say stuff like that before, or at least read it in a book, but it never hit a big gong before!

So there it is. Action will resolve the doubts that theory cannot solve. There's fresh hope and motivation. So much so that I'm telling anyone who'll listen that Publishing Project #2 will be done for August 2008.

Since Tuesday night, it's been a manic week of inspiration, of ideas and of clarity about what's needed, and what can be let go. I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to go through this experience, and want to thank all the generous actions that put me into the place where I could hear that message.

I thank the loving friends who arranged the flight, and all the people who've encouraged me (from dodgy drafts, through the blog and also through Trojan Moments), I thank the store for letting me be involved, and I thank Neil who cares about even the last person in the queue.

No comments: