Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Life Lesson: Never Spend the Mystery Money

A few days ago, some mystery money inexplicably appeared in my account.
Where did it come from? How did the great money God choose me for this timely gift?
I had no answers...
I just couldn't figure it out, it didn't add up to what was owed to me and despite recently being broke enough to beg, I hadn't actually gone ahead and sent my bank details around with a dodgy scam letter. Let me tell you, I let this small windfall go straight to my head! I rang friends, gleefully clapped my hands together, immediately went on a small (but ultimately ill-advised) spending spree, and oh the joy of this unexpected bounty from the great digital ocean!!
 
Today the mystery resolved itself, sadly, into the mundane reality of a bounced rent payment.
Ahhh....
And a dishonour fee.....
Yes, and, you guessed it - a call from the Landlord's Watchdog about overdue and now late rent....
 
I wasn't laughing this morning, I can tell you. I'm still tired thinking about the number of phone calls it's going to take to sort out (I don't need to tell *you* there was no reason for it to be bounced - that goes without saying in a comic drama). It's funny, I've read those books on money, and none of them include this important tip: "Don't Spend the Mystery Money".
 
Maybe if I email this to Robert Kiyosaki, he can write a Rich Dad book on this topic and give me a finders fee - yeah, that's a great idea - that should almost cover the dishonour fee... yeah - I can feel it all starting to flow back my way!

No comments: