Friday, November 10, 2006

Week One: Reflections

Well, it's just gone one week in the Write a Novel in a Month gig, and how was the first week?
Devastating. Demoralising. Delirious and Addictive.
 
Strange things happened. Things like laughing out-loud during work when strange plot ideas come to me. Sitting, frozen, for over 20 minutes one night unable to make a single character move from the morass of ideas in my head onto the page. Writing a huge amount of any other thing *except* the novel/s (emails, particularly, but also journaling became very attractive). I have given up reading for this month in support of the writing, and it's confronting what a huge gap that's left. I've also gone cold-turkey on the nightly episodes of Blake's Seven.  That's left a lot of time for sitting in front of an unresponsive computer screen!
 
There's also been the bursts of creativity  and the joy in having a goal - which so easily feels like a purpose. Those cutsie little word count graphs on the profile page are cheering too. They leap so enthusiastically when you enter a new number! Then, there's the beautiful love that blossoms when a character starts to speak and act, and all I have to do, is get out of the way. Yeah - life is good!
 
I wish I could say that this has turned out to be a Walk in the Black Forrest, and that I am cruising on overdrive. That would be a fib, but oh - what a sweet daydream! That's the big leaning - how much fun I'm having being 'out and proud' with this program. They even gave us free tattoos. Genius!
 
OK, roll on week two! It's really turning into a no-lose proposition, even if I miss the stars, I could well make it to the moon!
 

No comments: