Saturday, December 23, 2006

btw: body count

The creel was gone. I didn't notice straight away, but it was gone. Baby birds are hard to care for. He took worms and water the first night, so we were heartened. My folks didn't tell me he had died ... then I realised they were sheltering me. Not real well as it turned out - his poor little body wasn't far from the house. I'll bury him on the quiet tommorrow when there's no one around to tell me not to get upset over a bird I didn't even know.
Other animals - a snake in the feed shed. I stayed out of it totally. Dad and a shovel saw to the business. The bloodthirsty nieces stood on the back of the ute to have a view. 
Resident frog is alive and well, Riley safe.
Everyone else had meat for dinner.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

laughing and laughing at the vego in the country scenario. there's a book in that.

When I was 11 I had a parakeet and forgot to feed it and it died and I've been wracked with guilt my entire life.