Sunday, December 17, 2006

Christmas Carols in the Local Park

It seems to be *de rigeur* this year for local parks to host christmas carols that have moved a long way from the hymn-like singalongs I remember and now largely re-create the school rock eisteddfod, crossed with daytime tv and with a touch of an evangelistic Australian Idol. Tonight, a bandstand appeared (complete with black velvet drapes) and a gigantic sound system - ensuring that the Kristmas Karaoke Cheer would be spread far and wide. What really got me, was the mirror ball. I could cope with the light rig, with the coffee carts double parked along the street, and even the tacky plastic candles (batteries included!), but the mirror ball broke me.

Maybe it's just me who associates the mirror ball so closely with disco, nightclubs, rough anonymous sex and recreational drug use. To see it spinning there inside the star (supposedly representing the star shining over their lord and saviour's crib) was truly too outre, even for me.

No comments: