Thursday, December 21, 2006

Jetlag

Don't think it's possible to experience jetlag flying Sydney to Brisbane? Well, probably not technically. But I suggest to you that there's not just the stupid one hour time difference, there's the massive cultural difference between that city and this country.
 
Yes. We're talking EARLY RISING. The sun comes up early here, and hour earlier in fact. It's bright, it's relentless, and it cannot be disobeyed. Why? Well, partly because my family doesn't seem to grock the concept of curtains. Secondly, heat. It's hot. I can almost constantly hear Agent Smith talking about the stench of my sweat. Thirdly, there's Things To Do, and doing the crossword with a coffee doesn't seem to be one of them. No. All the Things To Do involve driving (more on the new road monster to come), driving a *long* way, and then, driving back. Possibly there's some phone calls, but there's a tricky ettiquette to country phone calls that my brusque sydney ways don't gel with, so I'm off phone call duty for the time being. I know that there's people (lovely people too) who get up early in sydney. Good for them. You have a tricky start doing that and you might have trouble with a train platform, or over-starch a workshirt. I found myself this morning at 7.20am in charge of a moving vehicle, moving rather briskly (at 110 klms an hour) down a highway towards an endless wall of semitrailers. Twitch badly and, well, suffice it to say, things would be far from pretty. I'm sure sure I'll ever be actually awake for that, but I know that in the last 12 hours my right arm (the driving arm) has received more sun than the entire rest of my body has in the preceeding eleven and a half months. Trapped in the road monster chewing up the tarmac for over 3 hours today has crisped me through to the bone it feels like .... i just got up and looked in the mirror.... I'm just red, in a puffy, uncool way.
I'm so tired. I walked in the door tonight and had a drink of bourbon and ginger ale. ! Chugged it and poured another.  !!
Who is this husk of a woman?

No comments: