Friday, December 01, 2006

Sidewalk Economy

I have been releasing furniture and home wares back into the wild these last few days.
It's sad to see some of them go, we've shared quite a while together in captivity, but as we say our thank yous, our last goodbyes, and I shut the gate on them standing there bravely on the sidewalk looking to their future, there's also a release.
New beginnings depend on these little goodbyes and for someone else, there is the excitement of discovery. Just like I had, when I first found them.
 
There's also something very satisfying in materially demonstrating generosity. Mirrors, fans, rugs, chairs, heaters, a fountain, paintings, cupboards, Tvs, microwaves, plates, lamps. All in good working order, most not too scruffy, some things barely used. Question is .... what about the fridge? The first whitegoods I've ever paid money for! Will it too join the great pulsing sidewalk economy, or will I choke at the last minute and pay surly burly men to transport it a thousand kilometers?

No comments: